Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Day 20

Kisses for Nina!!


Monday September 6, 2010

Yesterday was a day of family, portraits, and ridiculous phrases shouted at the top of our lungs. Today was a day of goodbyes and rest. Our families and friends had spent a wonderful weekend with us, loving us, encouraging us, blessing us. Now it was time for them to say goodbye and return home, return to their lives.

There is no doubt that everyone who loves us is being transformed by this. However, it is undeniably important for all of our friends and family members to remember that despite the pain they carry and the heartache they feel for us, they MUST go on and rejoice in the health, happiness, and tranquility of their own lives.

I say this because part of our strength is derived from those around us living joyful lives. God only knows the conclusion to this story but I hope that Nina's strength, love, and down right fighting spirit compels us all to live each day to the fullest! If there is anything to be learned here is that life is but a mere moment. Every human being on this earth has only two things in common: 1) We will all die someday, 2) We will all meet our Maker someday and be accountable for our lives here on this earth.

Nina, with her tiny 5 and 3/4 years of life is teaching us all how to live, that each breath should be an unspoken poem of gratitude and praise for the God of heaven and earth. I know this to be true myself now more than at any other time in my life....but I confess that even now it is so hard to not loose sight. That is the plight of the human condition. In essence, we all have ADHD. How quickly we loose sight of what is important, what is priceless, what is eternal.

After lunch, Nina and I snuck into her bedroom for a quick nap. She fell asleep instantaneously. I wrapped myself around her warm little body and closed my eyes. I listened. I felt. Her breathing was different, more labored. The beats of her heart were different, faster. But despite these changes she was still my honey-girl. I listened. I felt. I thanked! I slept!

We love Eileen!!   

No comments:

Post a Comment