Thursday, October 21, 2010

Day 55

Monday October 11, 2010

Unfortunately our peaceful slumber did not last very long! I woke up at 5am and showered once again to help me wake up. Eileen's parents arrived at 5:45am to pick up our stuff. I literally put Teddy's pants on and carried him to the elevator. He was such a sweetheart....didn't tantrum or fuss....just curled up next to me in complete exhaustion. The drive to the airport was traffic. We hugged Jessie and Ken goodbye! They are such dear friends and in the middle of their greatest happiness their hearts were breaking for us!!

Unlike our previous two recent visits to the airport, this one went without a hitch! We quickly went through the line, got through security, found some breakfast and boarded the plane....into Economy Plus not First Class :( Funny thing was that Teddy was so tired that he didn't notice a thing. He simple grabbed a pillow I had brought and tucked it under his perfect face). Teddy slept on my lap for almost the entire 5 hour trip! It was perfect! At one point he crawled into my lap and put his sweet puppy mug right up against my face. His stinky breath fell on my face each time he took a breath. It was so peaceful, so delicious, so amazing! There really isn't anything like the perfection of your sleeping child to quiet a restless spirit.

Teddy woke up with 20 minutes remaining of the flight. I finished writing a few emails. Once we landed I texted Todd and he told me they were on their way. We grabbed our carry-ons and made our way to the baggage claim area. As we rounded the walk way, Todd and Nina (in the stroller) popped out and surprised us! Teddy was elated to see his father and sister! Nina smiled bashfully as we hugged her. She reached behind her back and pulled out gum she had bought for us, orange for me and sour apple for Teddy. She was so proud! Teddy thanked her without having to be reminded. I kissed Nina another time, so happy to see her perfectly chubby face!

We drove home and Teddy told Todd and Nina all about his adventures. He spent an inordinate amount of time talking about the squirrels he had chased, and how on multiple occasions he had almost stepped on one, "Dad...I almost stepped on his head...I was so super fast, it was crazy!" Todd just laughed! Nina was a bit puzzled, but then again she is a girl and we don't generally find chasing squirrels as diverting as boys do:) Once we got home and Teddy started playing, I told Todd about how Teddy had developed a mad crush on Eileen's future sister-in-law and how at one point when she, Eileen and a few of Eileen's friends were dancing to "Single Ladies" I caught Teddy starring at her. Wherever she went on the dance floor his gaze followed. What was best was that he was eating his chocolate cake and dancing himself. It was so stinking cute that I had to point it out to Eileen's brother...I warned him that he better watch out because he had pint size competition! Sweet boy! I remember when I used to be the most beautiful girl in the world to him. Those days are long gone :(

When we got home, I curled up next to Nina on the mattress in the living room. The next thing I knew it was dinner time! I had fallen asleep. Apparently I had slept so deeply that I hadn't felt the kitty jumping all over me and playing with my scarf. Todd said that all three of them had sat on the couch laughing! Nice! I was tired!!! That much was true!!

A bit after dinner, my cousin Elsa arrived. She had recently returned from South Africa where she is doing research and was on her way to a conference in LA. She had stopped by to spend some time with us before returning back to South Africa. It was so great seeing Elsa. Growing up she had been my best friend! I had always wanted to be like Elsa. She was beautiful, talented, fearless. These are qualities that I still admire in her!

The rest of the evening was spent unpacking, playing Club Penguin, taking baths, and reading Captain Underpants. I was so happy that Teddy and I had gone to Boston. It was an incredible event to be a part of and I cherished the time with Teddy. Now, back was time to return to reality! Once the kids were in bed, Elsa and I climbed into bed ourselves. We talked for hours...literally! We had so much to catch up and it felt so good to have my childhood best friend listening to me. We talked until 3am and then fell asleep holding hands! Elsa and I barely saw each other as adults. We lived in different states (and now in different countries) but it did not matter....we always picked up where we left off. We loved each other deeply, to our cores, and that is all that matters! Time and distance can never change that kind of love and I praise God for it!

1 comment:

  1. You are so beautiful Rosy and it was magical to be there with you in your home with your family. NO matter how far away, I am always with you and you with me. My heart aches when yours aches, and laughs when yours laughs. You are amazing and strong and courageous. I am lucky to have been your childhood best friend- love you always and forever. Your cousin, Elsa.