Sunday, October 17, 2010

Day 50

Wednesday October 6, 2010

At 7:45 am my phone rang and woke me up from a deep sleep. I didn't recognize the number so I didn't answer. If you are not listed in my phone, chances are very low that I will pick up. I snoozed for another 10 minutes then listened to the message. It was Cindy from the Cancer Center canceling today's appointment because of electrical problems with the radiation machine. I was so bummed!!!  Tomorrow (Thursday) was suppose to be Nina's last radiation appointment. She hadn't stopped talking about it all week long. Now with this cancellation she would have to go in on Friday. Dang it!!! What was worse was that Teddy and I were suppose to leave for Boston on Friday am to attend Eileen and Dave's formal wedding. There was no way I could miss Nina's last radiation appointment!! Now I would have to deal with the hassle of changing our tickets! Aghhh!!!

After listening to the message, I texted Eileen, who was already up (jet lag). I updated her on Cindy's call and told her I was going to sleep in with Nina. It felt great to sleep in...for 15 minutes. Nina woke up early! Of course she did! The one day we could sleep in during the week and she wakes up early! I should have predicted it :) She rolled over and whispered "Can I get up now?" I told her that the appointment was canceled and that consequently we got to hang out and have breakfast. I had told her about breakfast hoping it would ease the pain of continuing treatment until Friday a bit...but it didn't seem to matter. She didn't cry. Instead...she plugged her nose and said, "Mama, I don't like your smell!" Isnt' my lady lovely??? Apparently, she did not appreciate my morning breath :) I cracked up and shouted out to Eileen who came in and joined in the laughing. Eileen and Nina decided to go into the living room and watch some cartoons and eat breakfast while I slept for a bit longer!!! It felt so good to sleep a bit more!

I rolled out of bed around 9:45 am. I joined my critic and Eileen on the couch. We unanimously decided it was going to be a "Whatever" day and just rolled along, doing only what we wanted, which was mainly hanging out at home....and it felt so right!! Our friend Kelly came over with Totoro, another Japanese animae movie. Nina totally loved it! I loved it too! I think she and I relate to the quirky characters in these movies, whereas Teddy just finds them odd :)

After picking up Teddy from school, we brought home a few smoothies from Blenders. Nina was happy to drink one, even though it was doctored up with Miralax. After Blenders, Teddy and I worked on some of his homework. His reading has greatly improved and he is definitely showing a preference and easier time with math! He is not even 8 years old yet (a couple of days more) and he already at times thinks he knows more than me and Todd. Ohh...little have so much to learn :)

Once dinner was complete, Eileen and I escaped for an hour and had drinks to celebrate her upcoming nuptials. I am so happy for my dearest friend. Love is hard to find but Eileen had found it! We had our drinks and didn't stay gone for long. Eileen wanted to return home and spend her last night this month in Santa Barbara with Nina. I love how everyone is savoring every second with her! She is something to be savored...but then again...aren't all our children??? I think we just forget sometimes :(

No comments:

Post a Comment